- Four times more likely to develop diabetes
- Over three times more likely to have high blood pressure
- Twice as likely to develop heart disease
Clearly, those few extra pounds affect more than just your waistline. As numerous studies and reports have shown, overweight individuals face a greater risk of serious health problems.
The good news is that adopting healthier eating habits and exercising regularly can lower our risk of developing these illnesses.
What’s especially encouraging is that even a modest weight loss can deliver tremendous health benefits. Your heart function and vascular health can improve, along with your metabolism, and your blood pressure will lower. If you lose a mere 10% of your body weight, you could experience cardiovascular benefits such as:
- Reduced risk of cholesterol building up and clogging your coronary arteries
- Lower levels of LDL cholesterol and triglycerides and a positive increase in protective HDL cholesterol
So what’s the first step? From a diet perspective, you can:
- Add more fruit and vegetables to your meals and snacks
- Get your protein from healthy food sources such as lean meats, poultry, fish, and legumes
- Switch to low-fat dairy products
- Consume whole-grain breads and cereals
- Cut out processed, sugary, and high-fat foods
Exercise is also important. Canada’s Physical Activity Guidelines recommends that adults get at least 150 minutes of exercise a week. Even 30 minutes of moderate activity per day, such as a walk through the neighbourhood, can help you lose weight and keep it off.
The right supplementation can help as you transition to a healthier and more active lifestyle. activ-X, the award-winning daily multivitamin from Platinum Naturals, uses ginseng, rhodiola and cordyceps to boost your stamina and energy levels while helping you achieve a faster post-workout recovery with rhodiola, milk thistle and antioxidant support. Unlike other fitness supplements, activ-X includes Platinum Naturals’ Superior Nutrient Absorption, which uses natural and beneficial oils to improve absorbency. You get the full benefits of each dose.